GEN Paul E. Funk II
GEN Paul E. Funk II
Gen. Paul E. Funk II assumed duties as the 17th Commanding General, United States Army Training and Doctrine Command, on June 21, 2019. As TRADOC commander, Funk is responsible for 32 Army schools organized under eight Centers of Excellence that recruit, train and educate more than 500,000 Soldiers and service members annually.
Funk was born at Fort Hood and graduated from Fort Knox High School. He was commissioned an Armor Officer through ROTC upon graduation from Montana State University.
General Funk has commanded at every level, Company through Corps, including:
• A Company, 2d Battalion, 32d Armor Regiment, 1st Brigade, 3rd Armored Division in Kirchgoens, Germany
• Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 4th Battalion, 67th Armor Regiment, 3rd Brigade, 3rd Armored Division in Kirchgoens, Germany
• 1st Squadron, 7th Cavalry Regiment (GARRYOWEN), 4th Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division at Fort Hood, Texas
• 1st Brigade Combat Team (IRONHORSE), 1st Cavalry Division at Fort Hood, Texas
• 1st Infantry Division (Big Red One) at Fort Riley, Kansas
• III Armored Corps (AMERICA’S HAMMER!) at Fort Hood, Texas
Funk’s combat and operational experience includes six deployments in support of Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm, Operation Iraqi Freedom, Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Inherent Resolve.
Operational assignments include:
• Observer Controller with the Live Fire Team (Dragons) at the National Training Center, Fort Irwin, California
• Squadron Operations Officer of 1st Squadron, 3d Armored Cavalry Regiment at Fort Carson, Colorado
• Regimental Operations Officer, 3d Armored Cavalry Regiment at Fort Carson, Colorado
• Division Operations Officer, 1st Cavalry Division at Fort Hood, Texas
• Chief of Staff, III Corps at Fort Hood, Texas
• Deputy Commanding General at the Combined Arms Center for Training at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas
• Deputy Commanding General (Maneuver), 1st Infantry Division at Fort Riley, Kansas
• Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, G-3/5/7, U.S. Army in Washington, D.C.
Joint assignments include:
• Chief, Joint Exercise Section J-37, North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), U.S. Space Command at Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado
• Deputy Commanding General (Maneuver), Combined Joint Task Force-1 in Afghanistan
• Commander, Combined Joint Forces Land Component Command-Iraq in Baghdad, Iraq
• Commander, Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve in Baghdad, Iraq
Funk holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in speech communications, from Montana State University, and a Master of Science degree in administration, from Central Michigan University. He is a graduate of the Armor Basic Officer Leaders and Advanced Courses, the Command and General Staff College, and completed his Senior Service College as a fellow at the Institute of Advanced Technology, University of Texas at Austin.
General Funk is married to the former Elizabeth Yeosock and they have three children and one grandchild.