Director, Government Affairs
Salary Range: $120,000 - $135,000
The Association of the United States Army (www.ausa.org) is seeking a Director of Government Affairs to direct the activities of the Association relating to government affairs, advocacy, web site currency, and communication throughout AUSA.
Reporting to the Vice President of Education, the Director of Government Affairs will interact with the Association’s leadership on matters of national importance; provide strategic planning for AUSA’s interaction with the United States Congress; provide liaison between AUSA and the Congress, the Department of the Army, Department of Defense, military-related associations, and federal agencies involved in areas of interest to AUSA members and the US Army; and direct AUSA outreach to members in the area of government affairs.
Major Duties include:
- Providing strategic and operational planning of AUSA congressional interaction;
- Advising the AUSA President & CEO and Vice Presidents on matters related to legislation and government affairs;
- Maintaining liaison with various Pentagon offices within the Office of the Secretary of Defense and the Office of the Secretary of the Army;
- Writing testimony and presentations for AUSA senior leadership;
- Writing periodic articles to appear in AUSA publications concerning newsworthy events in Congress and the Department of the Army;
- Preparing annual AUSA Focus Areas and developing legislative objectives and strategies.
- Writing letters to Congress on issues of importance to AUSA constituents;
- Preparing senior leadership for visits to congressional members and staff.
Position requires a Master’s degree in a related field or a combination of education and related experience; at least five years of relevant experience in Government Affairs; familiarity with the Department of the Army staff organization and the structure of Capitol Hill offices including experience in the political/legislative process; previous Department of the Army staff experience highly desired; ability to work and write independently and possess excellent oral and written communication skills and a flexible, collaborative, and congenial work style; and strong management/leadership skills.
Qualified candidates may send resume and cover letter with two relevant writing samples to Alison French, AUSA Human Resources Director at [email protected].
AUSA is an equal opportunity employer and conducts background checks prior to employment offer.