No traces now exist of the original Fort Johnson which stood at Windmill Point on James Island. Fort Johnson was designed and built in 1708 by Huguenot refugees to protect the English colony of South Carolina from attack by Spanish and French forces. It was named after the Proprietary Governor of the Carolinas, Sir Nathaniel Johnson. A second fort was built in 1759 and portions of its "tabby" walls, made from sea shells, are still visible today. The fort played a role during the Stamp Act crisis.